Monday, March 30, 2009

Book Review: The Hobbit

The first time I read The Hobbit, I was in sixth grade. I finished it, thinking it was a good book but a real snoozer, and didn't touch it again. Until, of course, this past weekend, when I decided to give it another go-round. I've read the Lord of the Rings trilogy several times through and love them all, so to me this is 'light reading.' This was my second time through it, and I was pleasantly surprised. While I remembered the basic story, I found that I'd forgotten several details. It is a lot lighter than The Lord of the Rings, and is good for when I want a taste of LOTR but don't have the time or inclination to go through them all again. The Hobbit chronicles the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and a band of dwarves as Bilbo helps them reclaim their home from the dragon Smaug. It doesn't have a lot of action in it (compared to the trilogy), as it's simply the beginning of the later adventures, but it's well worth reading. (Of course it is; it's a classic.) I am glad that I gave it a second chance.

No comments: